Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sacrifice

The first installment of a weekly Sunday post dedicated to becoming closer to our Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ.

I have lots of fun with my posts throughout the week, but I intend this weekly Sunday post to be of a more serious nature. I know that we have a Heavenly Father who loves us and He wants us to have eternal happiness. He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to Atone for our sins. I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that He has provided us a way to return to our Heavenly Father and to be with our loved ones for eternity. I know that the church of Jesus Christ and His teachings were restored through the prophet Joseph Smith. I know that God has called a prophet in our day, Thomas S. Monson. I know that anyone willing to ask God with all of their heart in sincere prayer can also gain a personal testimony of these things.

Sacrifice

"Sacrifice means giving to the Lord whatever He requires of our time, our earthly possessions, and our energies to further His work. The Lord commanded, "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness" (Matthew 6:33). Our willingness to sacrifice is an indication of our devotion to God. People have always been tried and tested to see if they will put the things of God first in their lives." - Gospel Principles, a publication of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Jesus Christ offered Himself as a sacrifice for our sins. "Because of His great sacrifice, everyone will be saved from physical death by the Resurrection and all can be saved from their sins through faith in Jesus Christ."

Sacrifice is two fold. There is the sacrifice of temporal things as well as spiritual things. The Lord said "Ye shall offer up unto me no more the shedding of blood, ... and your burnt offerings shall be done away. ... And ye shall offer for a sacrifice unto me a broken heart and a contrite spirit." (3 Nephi 9:19-20). When asked by a young rich ruler, "What shall I do to inherit eternal life?" Christ answered, "...Sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me." When the young man heard this, he was sorrowful. He was very rich and had his heart set on his riches (Luke 18:18-23).

Lamoni's father from The Book of Mormon, a great king in his day, was taught the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The king understood sacrifice. When taught of eternal life and the joy that could be obtained through Jesus Christ, the king said "I will give up all that I possess, yea, I will forsake my kingdom, that I may receive this great joy. ... I will give away all my sins to know Thee [God]." (Alma 22:15-18)

My hope is that we may all strive to have the same desire as Lamoni's father, the king. My hope is that we may recognize the great joy in store for us, and be willing to sacrifice everything to obtain that joy in this life and in the eternities.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, the sacrifice lesson. So true, that nothing that matters comes without a price. My favorite scripture on sacrifice is Omni 1:26.

    -TJR

    ReplyDelete